July 8, 2015

What To Pack Into Your Hospital Bag {Pregnancy}





From my previous experience at the hospital, I've learned that there are only a few essential things a mother needs when she's going to the hospital to give birth. Here is my new updated (from experience) check list for labor and delivery.

Hospital Bag Checklist:

  • Insurance info, hospital form (if any)
  • 2-3 pairs of warm, nonskid socks that can get ruined (for walking the halls before and after labor
  • A warm robe for after delivery (lots of people come visit and you want to look a little bit like a human being)
  • Lip balm (hospitals are very dry)
  • Toiletries and personal items — hairbrush, toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, face wash, shampoo, conditioner, lotion, contact lens case and solution (remember, travel-sized products are your friends
  • Make up (you will be so glad you have some on hand when friends and family show up to visit
  • Your favorite snacks (you’ll probably be hungry after labor, and the hospital cafeteria could be closed)
  • Cell phone and charger
  • Camera, empty memory card, battery/charger
  • Blanket (even in summer hospital A/C is very strong)



Take it or leave it:

  • Comfortable going-home clothes in six-month maternity size and flat shoes (or, just wear the clothes you came in… sorry, but they’ll probably still fit)
  • Bath towel (the hospital will likely supply a small, very thin one but you can ask for 50 of them)
  • Heavy flow sanitary pads (the hospital supplies these things, but bring your own if you’re picky)
  • A few pairs of soft underwear that can get ruined (the hospital will have disposable pairs, which some women find handy and others find gross)
  • A gym bag packed with a change of clothes and basic hygiene products for your partner (leave it in the car just in case)        

For the Baby:

  • A coming-home outfit (girl or boy
  • Full diaper bag with all the essentials that you can leave in the car for the ride home. Just in case it is long and baby may need a diaper change or change of clothes.



8 comments :

  1. Yes! Don't forget that robe and comfy pajamas too:)

    Wishes & Reality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heidi, I did add that into the list. I couldn't do without my robe - I'm always cold

      Delete
  2. This is super helpful!! I am sure I will over pack (such is my nature) but it is good to hear what you brought and found useful the first time around!
    xoxo Danielle
    For the Love of Leopard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danielle, it's better to have a few extra things than to need them and not find them! Leave the 'unsure about this' items in the car.

      Delete
  3. Great list! I would definitely add a room deodorizer. I hated the way the hospital smelled when I was there giving birth
    Dresses & Denim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carly, yes that could be a factor. I'm taking my diffuser with me.

      Delete
  4. Anonymous29.7.15

    I absolutely hate packing for anything, its somehow so stress inducing for me. Thankfully I had my last two babies at home so no packing was necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous29.7.15

    I absolutely hate packing for anything, its somehow so stress inducing for me. Thankfully I had my last two babies at home so no packing was necessary.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment - I appreciate your support!

BLOG DESIGN BY BELLA LULU INK