November 25, 2015

Being Grateful. Being Content.



I got out of the car and grabbed a dish with bacon wrapped pesto chicken and proceeded to make my way toward the house. Making the chicken was the easier part. Now came the hard part - not knowing what to say to my friend who just had a miscarriage. 
I'm so sorry for your loss.
But here is some chicken. 
I didn't know what to say or how to act and therefore an awkward hug and poor words of condolences followed after. 
It was also her birthday. My heart ached with sincere desire to do more but what could I do?
Lord, doesn't this seem like a lot to take for someone so young? 
On a table was gorgeous bouquet of red roses given by her husband. They were beautiful. 
My birthday just passed and I reminded myself that my husband didn't even give me flowers. Well, there goes the romance right? Seven years into it and nada. I felt a sting of jealousy and than my heart gasped - how could I?
I was being so ungrateful. I was full of discontent.
I was feeling discontent with my husband because he decided to give me two full days together and a day at a day spa, complete with brunch and dinner out .We slept in. We watched movies. We relaxed and spent time together, yet all I could think about was flowers.
Then guilt struck through me like a lighting bolt.
Lord, I am sorry and also, thank you.
In a society that's full of Instas and Snaps, we forget to take the time to be grateful. To just be. We paint perfect pictures and busy with coveting our people's lives in the perfect little snaps of time, forgetting to be thankful for what we have. I'm guilty of it more than I could ever count. 
Comparison is the killer of joy. 

If you think you are better than others, when you really aren’t, you are wrong. Do your own work well, and then you will have something to be proud of. But don’t compare yourself with others. We each must carry our own load. Galatians 6:3-5


No matter what we may see from the outside looking in, don't think for a minute that their life is better than ours. God gave the life we are living for a reason, with all its hardships and joys. So no matter where we are, have much or very little, come from great childhood or rough, seeing great prospects on the horizon or don't know what to do next, possess many earthly riches or can barely pay the bills, giving our all or have nothing left to give, laughing or crying in all give thanks. 

7 comments :

  1. Love the message in this post! God gave us this life for a reason! Enjoy your Thanksgiving love!

    www.rosyoutlookblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true! In a world dominated by social media, it is important to ne thankful for what you have. It's too easy to get caught up in it. Your family is beautiful! Happy thanksgiving!

    Annessa
    www.seekingsunshine.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful words! content is one of the biggest virtues in today's time! I definitely need to work on it! Happy thanksgiving!
    Chichistashan.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's SO easy to forget to be grateful for things. It's much easier to always want what someone else has (or what you think they have). This post is a great reminder for all of us to slow down and remember everything that we have!

    https://forsevenseasons.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for reminding us about all the blessings we have in our lives! You have a beautiful family! Happy Thanksgiving, Anna!

    Danielle
    www.spring2spring.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely post... I adore the family photos!

    xo, tasha | twenty-something blog

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous26.11.15

    Thank you for rrminding us that comparison is the theft of joy. I hope that your friend is not into comparison too as reading all the ways your husband pleased you on your birthday might make the wonderful roses pale in comparison and also add to the pain which her husband was trying to soothe in the little way he could knowing that no one can really take someone's pain away but we can help to make it lighter by desisting from gloating.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment - I appreciate your support!

BLOG DESIGN BY BELLA LULU INK